Honda GL1200 - Randakk Master Carb Overhaul Kit®
Randakk Exclusive item for all 1984 - 1987 Honda GL1200 models.
This kit is proprietary to Randakk's ...you won't find this available anywhere else. Sourced for the best available parts from 3 continents and combined them with exclusive items to make this kit possible. This kit is appropriate for any 1984 - 1987 GL1200 with original carbs. Obviously, this kit will not service fuel injected models.
- Heat tolerance (400 degrees F vs. 250 degrees F)
- Compression set
Did you know that one good case of severe engine overheating can ruin the carb o-rings found in ordinary kits? These o-rings are the best available! Visit our blog to get more information on Viton.
Also, O-ring sizes are precise. They are equivalent to the exact sizes specified by Honda for each fitment. Not "close-enough" sizes as in many of the other aftermarket kits evaluated.
Randakk's GL1200 Master Carb Overhaul Kit(R)
Each kit provides everything listed for all 4 carbs + other items required for splitting and rejoining the carbs to the plenum as well as the air cutoff valve rebuild kit! Only the highest quality items are included. The components in this kit have been thoroughly tested for fit and function. This collection represents the best value available in the market. You will need everything in this kit to do a proper overhaul of your carbs.
Randakk's Master GL1200 Carb Overhaul Kit(R) includes:
- 4 - Fuel (idle) mixture screw (2.8 x 1.1 mm)
- 4 - Float bowl drain screw (4.3 x 1.3 mm)
- 4 - Large carb-to-plenum (air) O-ring (48.8 x 2.6 mm) I supply a Viton O-ring for this instead of the special seal Honda uses. My O-ring works as well or better than Honda's odd seal
- 4 - Intake manifold (35.5 x 2.6 mm)
- 4 - Main Fuel Tube (5.8 x 2.0 mm)
- 4 - Air-Cut Tube (6.9 x 1.3 mm)
- 4 - Vent Tube (6.9 x 1.3 mm)
- 4 - Anti-afterburn coupling pipe seals (9.8 x 2.4 mm) for models with secondary air supply system*
- 1 - Special O-ring for models with secondary air supply system (goes under anti-afterburn valve - supplied in all kits...35.0 x 2.1 mm)*
* supplied in all kits but not used on all models
Float Bowl Gaskets - 4 of each:
- Constructed of superior material to resist the components of modern gasoline.
- A real "formed" gasket like OEM...not a simple O-ring like in some kits (those are hellishly difficult to use!)
- 1 - Air Cutoff Valve Overhaul Kit ("slow air cutoff").
- 12 - 1 mm cotter pins for linkage (simple item, but hard to find elsewhere)
- 8 - Special screws and lock washers rejoin carbs to the plenums. Rarely needed. These are high quality zinc-plated screws...just in case! (6 x 20 mm)
- 4 - Idle mixture screw washers
- 16 - Float bowl screws (4 x 16 mm)
- Unlike a few kits, there is no stainless hardware.
- The diaphragm in this kit is for the air cutoff valve on the bottom of the plenum (also known as the "slow air cutoff").
- Many GL1200 carbs have a second diaphragm on the bottom of the rack. This is the anti-afterburn valve. It is a component in the secondary air supply system - an emission control system used on both 49-state and California models (CA models add an additional evaporative canister). The second diaphragm is not supplied in this kit. They rarely need replacement. If you decide that yours needs replacement, they are still available from Honda - part# 17440-MG9-641.
- The separately packaged, single O-ring in the kit (35.0 x 2.1 mm) seals the "reed box" chamber to the carb plenum.
- Depending on supplier packaging, the Air Cutoff Valve Overhaul Kit may or may not include a small special seal. It is not used on this model and may be discarded.
Kit includes everything you need to separate the carbs and rejoin them to the plenum.
Note: No jets or jet needles are supplied with Randakk's kits. These can normally be cleaned and reused. Aftermarket needles are not sized as accurately as the OEM needles and may introduce lean / rich problems where none existed. Unless your needles are worn or bent, reuse them.
Also, there are no float valve/seat assemblies in the kit. Many aftermarket rebuild kits include float valve/seat assemblies of dubious quality. There have been many problems with these aftermarket items. Most of the problems relate to the aftermarket float needles being incorrectly sized (too short) resulting in unreliable (or nonexistent) fuel shutoff. Some are OK. The rubber tips and seats on the OEM item will last nearly forever and can usually be cleaned and reused. By leaving out the float valve/seat assemblies out of the kit helps to keep the cost down and give you a choice on what to buy if you think new ones are needed.
If you decide that you need new float valve/seat assemblies, you can buy the OEM item. This way you'll also get new fuel inlet screens (the plastic strainers installed below each float valve). The Honda part number is for the float valve set is 16011-MB1-671. It includes the float seat, float needle, special washer and screen. You will need to order 4 or take a slight gamble and go with aftermarket float valve/seat assemblies which are available at reasonable cost from numerous suppliers.
Warning: There are some aftermarket carb kits in the market that insinuate that they include genuine Honda float valve / seat assemblies. This disingenuous claim is highly dubious. Unless you receive these float sets in a sealed Honda package with a Honda part number, you are not being supplied with genuine Honda merchandise.
No fuel filter is included but it would be a crime to not take prudent measures to ensure a pure fuel supply! Use an OEM Honda filter as a high quality replacement unit.
We now offer the optional High Performance Fuel Filter with sizes to fit virtually any carbureted motorcycle.
Considerable skill is required to install this (74 piece) high quality kit correctly. Since Randakk's cannot control this important variable, there is no warranty. Rest assured that they are of the highest quality materials and workmanship. Each kit has been carefully packed and inspected to ensure that all items are included.
Warning: Please open the package very carefully when it arrives. Many of the parts are very small so take appropriate precautions. If you chose to open the package in the dark over your gravel driveway, after 1 or 12 beers, please don't later complain that you are a "few o-rings short." Seriously, do be careful when you open the package!
(Consider this best value "Combo" offer ...Howard Halasz' GL1200 Carburetor Repair Guide + Randakk's GL1200 Master Overhaul Kit - Save $5.00)
Is Universal Part: No
OEM Number(s): N/A
- 1984 Honda GL1200 GL1200
- 1984 Honda GL1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade
- 1984 Honda GL1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate
- 1985 Honda GL1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade
- 1985 Honda GL1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate
- 1985 Honda GL1200 GL1200I-LTD
- 1986 Honda GL1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade
- 1986 Honda GL1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate
- 1986 Honda GL1200 GL1200SE-i Goldwing LTD
- 1987 Honda GL1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade
- 1987 Honda GL1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate