Honda Timing Degree Wheel Version A
Randakk's Amazing Honda GL1000 Timing Degree Wheel
- for both Static and Dynamic Timing
A Randakk Excusive!
Timing a GL1000 is considered by some to be a bit of a ??black art.? It??s actually pretty straightforward once you??ve done it a few times. The ignition system on GL1000s is inherently marginal. It??s imperative to get the ignition spot on for best performance.
Now, through the miracle of higher math and close supervision, Randakk's has forced our minions to pack a full 720 degrees into the space normally occupied by a mere 360 degrees.
Through extensive field testing, We??ve found that the use of this special timing wheel:
- Simplifies the timing process for both static and dynamic methods
- Eliminates some of the ??mysteries? of wasted spark ignition
- Reduces errors: a full 720 degrees and all timing ??events? are marked on the wheel
- Improves accuracy
- Eliminates the need to drain oil and use the special Honda ??viewing port? tool for dynamic timing
Even the most careful static timing seems to be about 1-2 degrees advanced compared to dynamic timing. It is very hard to stop at the exact instant that the timing light goes on (or off depending on how the test light is hooked up).
Dynamic testing is beneficial because it reveals problems like weak advancer springs, "sticky" advancers, etc. which only show when the engine is running.
Also, the "split" timing anomaly when checking both ??F? event's on a given coil/points pair can be visualized nicely when dynamically timing. In a perfect world, the two "F" marks on the disk should superimpose and appear as one using a strobe, but they will actually appear to cycle back and forth slightly due to the anomaly. This effect is due to slight errors/slop in the eccentric and "wobble" on the poorly supported rear end of the left cam.
Each Timing Degree Wheel Features:
- Made on heavy gauge 1/8" aluminum stock
- High quality, stain-resistant graphic appliqu??
- Complete with 7+ pages of color instructions
- Complete with required attach hardware: bolt, washer, star washer and spacer
Works with both breaker points and electronic ignitions such as the Dyna/S.
Special thanks to Steve Seamans ("Whiskerfish" at NGW) for invaluable assistance on the R&D for this product.
Two different versions of this Timing Degree Wheel are offered for the GL1000.
Be sure to order the correct version for your bike:
|Timing Degree Wheel Version||Models||Price|
|1975 - 1977 Honda GL 1000 with #371 camshafts||$35.99|
|1978 - 1979 Honda GL 1000 with #431 camshafts||$35.99|
Note: The fixed pointer shown above is not included. We include instructions to fabricate that yourself from stiff wire.
Note: For use as an aid in ignition timing for Honda GL1000s only. Not suitable for any other purpose or any other model.
Is Universal Part: No
OEM Number(s): N/A
- 1975 Honda GL1000 GL1000 Goldwing
- 1976 Honda GL1000 GL1000
- 1976 Honda GL1000 GL1000-LTD
- 1977 Honda GL1000 GL1000 Goldwing